John W. Devine
John focuses his practice on the corporate, commercial, real estate, construction and environmental areas. In the corporate area, John represents clients in matters ranging from the creation of business organizations to private placements and recapitalizations, including corporate governance issues and board and shareholder representation in corporate divorces. He also represents clients in commercial real estate acquisitions, dispositions, and leasing matters. John’s construction practice is centered on the representation of owners and developers in construction projects nationwide, and includes design and construction contract drafting and negotiation as well as project administration and claims management.
In the environmental area, John has represented industrial, commercial, financial, and agricultural clients in a wide range of matters including petroleum, pesticide, and hazardous waste cleanups, asbestos management and abatement, corporate compliance and transaction-related issues.
John practiced with Steel Hector & Davis LLP for 11 years prior to forming DGR&W. Prior to attending law school, John worked as a commercial banker at Southeast Bank, N.A. in Miami.
- Represented buyer in its acquisition of a 6.8-acre, 2-parcel equestrian facility in Wellington, Florida. Worked with buyer’s outside general counsel on related financing and corporate matters.
- Represented purchaser in acquisition of 101,000+/- square foot distribution facility and related $10,500,000 taxable bond issue by Miami-Dade County Industrial Development Authority.
- Represented seller of assets in seafood distributor in transaction with private equity firm.
- Represented tenant in commercial lease for 175,000+/- square foot warehouse.
- Represented educational institution in $19,250,000 tax-free bond issue by Miami-Dade County Industrial Development Authority to refinance existing indebtedness.
- Represented bank mortgagee before local and state governments in cleanup of contaminated real property collateral.
- Represented landowner that contributed real property to venture with developer and investor for construction and operation of 249-unit multifamily rental project.
- Represented developer in $10,240,000 short-sale of 63-unit residential condominium project.
- Represented purchaser in acquisition of 61,000+/- square foot distribution facility and related $5,375,000 taxable bond issue by Miami-Dade County Industrial Development Authority.
- Represented developer in $7,822,000 short-sale of 47 units within a multi-family residential community.
- Represented tenant in negotiation of commercial office lease for 25,000 square feet in Class-A office building.
- Represented grocer in negotiation of sublease for 40,000 square foot retail space with publicly traded tenant.
- Represented landlord in negotiation of lease for downtown executive office and banking lobby space with publicly-traded bank.
- Represented owner of manufacturing facility in renovation and expansion of the facility and related $6,000,000 tax-free bond issue by Miami-Dade Industrial Development Authority.
- Represented receiver for closely-held real estate holding company in management, leasing, and disposition of numerous shopping centers in eastern United States.
- Represented owner of office building in leasing matters.
- Steel Hector & Davis LLP
- Partner (1993 – 1998)
- Associate (1987 – 1992)
- Southeast Bank, N.A.; Assistant Vice President, 1980-1984
Awards & Recognitions
- Listed, The Best Lawyers in America®, Corporate and Real Estate Law, 2014-2019
- Named, "Top Lawyer," Corporate and Business, Real Estate, South Florida Legal Guide, 2013, 2014 and 2017
- Listed, "Florida Super Lawyer,", Real Estate, Closely Held Business, Business/Corporate, 2007-2017, every edition
- Listed among "South Florida's Top Rated Lawyers," Business & Commercial, September 2012
- Listed as a Florida Legal Elite, Florida Trend magazine, Real Estate, 2004, 2006, 2008, 2013
- Ranked AV® Preeminent™ 5.0 out of 5*
*AV® Preeminent™ and BV® Distinguished™ are certification marks of Reed Elsevier Properties Inc., used in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies.