Lawrence D. Goodman
Lawrence “Larry” Goodman has been litigating and trying complex business cases in federal and state courts since 1988. Because every litigation dispute is unique, Larry and his team evaluate the legal, strategic and practical implications of each matter, logically and creatively, focusing on the leverage points and what’s important. Larry understands that results matter, not a checklist of tasks that could be litigated. In 30 years of practice, Larry has represented clients in wide ranging business disputes, from “corporate divorces” involving dissolution of closely-held entities, to complex real estate disputes concerning commercial properties, aviation matters, fraud and civil RICO cases. Larry has also litigated many class actions and has been appointed class counsel for nationwide and state certified classes. Larry is a Miami native, a cum laude graduate of the University of Miami School of Law and a summa cum laude graduate of Florida International University with a B.A. in the Humanities. He currently serves as a Member of The Florida Bar Federal Court Practice Committee and previously was Chair of that Committee. He has also served on The Florida Bar Judicial Nominating Rules Committee. Larry is also active in Community Activities, currently serving as a Board Member of the Miami Music Association, an organization dedicated to bringing world class classical music to Miami, and was President of the B’nai B’rith Bench and Bar for Miami-Dade County.
- Corporate Divorce (shareholder and partner disputes) – Representation of partners and shareholders in corporate divorce proceedings, partnership and shareholder disputes.
- Aviation business disputes– Representation of owners and lessees of commercial aircraft.
- Anti-Trust – Representation of a Putative Nationwide Class of merchants against the four-major credit card payment networks alleging violations of the Sherman Act for allegedly conspiring to shift the fraud liability date regarding chargebacks to the merchants over EMV certification.
- Civil RICO – Representation of victims and persons sued civilly under state and federal RICO statutes.
- Representation of Receivers.
- Representation of commercial property owners in wide ranging commercial disputes including fraud claims, specific performance, partition.
- Failed Financial Institution Litigation – Representation of senior officers and directors of failed financial institution. Representation of FDIC as Receiver in wide variety of claims, including repudiation of a $10 million plus escrow fund; a fraudulent conveyance action to recover millions of dollars from income stream of lease portfolio diverted to insiders, and numerous cases involving general business disputes.
- Representation of closely held corporations in commercial disputes.
Among other successes, Larry has achieved:
- Recently concluded litigation between partners and shareholders of a real estate brokerage and development companies;
- Successfully represented clients alleged to have been charged with conspiring to commit antitrust violations in an attempt to purchase commercial real estate resulting in complete dismissal of the case;
- Dismissal of case brought against seller of a private aircraft alleging multi-million dollars in damages;
- Multi-million dollar verdict tried in federal court on behalf of a foreign airline in an aircraft engine lease dispute;
- Multi-million arbitration award on behalf of sellers of a real estate information business who were owed a significant earn-out under the terms of the sale of the business;
- Jury verdict on behalf of investor in complex international dispute involving foreign bonds;
- Resolution of civil-RICO claims brought by foreign government against foreign entities in state court;
- Civil-RICO freeze of millions of dollars in domestic bank accounts relating to the international fraud of a Brazilian subsidiary of multi-national agro-chemical company;
- Resolution of 150 individual suits against the owner of a large trailer park; and
- Successful resolution for a homeowner who was a victim of an equity-stripping scheme.
- Law Clerk, The Honorable James Lawrence King, U.S. District Court, Southern District of Florida, August 1987 – August 1988
Awards & Recognitions
- Ranked AV® Preeminent™ 5.0 out of 5*
- Listed, The Best Lawyers in America®, Commercial Litigation, 2016-2018
- Selected as a "2016 Top Rated Litigator" by American Lawyer Media and Martindale-Hubbell™
- Named, "Top Lawyer," Corporate and Business Litigation, South Florida Legal Guide, 2014 and 2017
- Listed, "Florida Super Lawyer," Business Litigation, Closely Held Business, Class Action/Mass Torts 2006-2017, every edition
- Designated a "Top 100 Miami Florida Super Lawyer," 2012
- Listed among "South Florida's Top Rated Lawyers," Business Litigation, September 2012
- Listed as a Florida Legal Elite, Florida Trend magazine, Commercial Litigation, 2004-2009, 2011, 2013, 2015
*AV® Preeminent™ and BV® Distinguished™ are certification marks of Reed Elsevier Properties Inc., used in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies.