Robert J. Kuntz
Robert is an AV-rated (the highest possible peer rating for competence and character) litigation attorney who has represented commercial clients in a wide range of industries including aviation, shipping, private security, maritime carriage of cargo and passengers, firearms, design, garment, construction, lending, manufacturing, and gaming. He has successfully handled all manner of business disputes – including fraud, torts, contract claims, class actions, and product liability – at every stage, from pre-suit negotiations, through discovery, trials in state and federal trial courts, and to appeal.
Robert especially enjoys cases that turn on complex technical matters. He has worked with experts from such varied disciplines as aviation, the maritime trades, industrial manufacturing, the physical sciences, medicine and forensic accounting. He has deep experience working on both sides of very large fraud cases.
Robert practiced with the national firm of Holland & Knight LLP for six years before joining DGRW. He is admitted to practice in all courts of Florida, the United States District Courts for the Southern and Middle Districts of Florida and the Eleventh U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals.
Before going to law school, Robert was a newspaper reporter and editor for more than 12 years. His undergraduate degree, a Bachelor of Science in biology, is from the University of Cincinnati. Robert graduated summa cum laude from the University of Miami School of Law, where he finished 6th in a class of 340, and was the Paul B. Anton Scholar, a three-semester Dean’s Fellow, and was a member of the University of Miami Law Review and the Order of Coif.
Robert is an Adjunct Professor of Law at the University of Miami School of Law where he teaches attorney ethics and professional responsibility.
Robert maintains an extensive pro bono legal practice. His work has included children’s advocacy, immigration and family law matters. He now concentrates his pro bono practice on representing domestic violence petitioners seeking judicial protection from their abusers.
Robert is a Director of the Dade County Defense Bar Association and a member of the national Association of Professional Responsibility Lawyers, and the Cuban American Bar Association. He is also a member of the Minister and Church Relations Committee of the South Florida Presbytery of the Presbyterian Church in America. He was General Counsel of Opsail Miami 2000, where he conducted all legal affairs for the largest-ever convocation of international tall ships, a festival attended by more than 500,000 people. For his work on the event, he was awarded a Public Service Commendation by the United States Coast Guard.
Robert is conversant in Spanish, blogs at suburbansheepdog.blogspot.com and is a competitive shooter.
- Newspaper reporter and editor at various publications, 1982-1993
- Associate, Holland & Knight LLP, 1996-2002
- Moderator, “Doing Well While Doing Good: Ethics and the Business of Law,” Dade County Defense Bar Association CLE Luncheon, Miami, October 7, 2015
- Principal Organizer and Moderator, “Real World Ethics: How to practice law, win cases, and make a living, all while keeping your license,” Dade County Defense Bar Association annual half-day ethics symposium, October 8, 2014
- Panelist, “Hot Topics in International Litigation,” The Florida Bar International Law Section’s Annual International Litigation & Arbitration Conference, Miami, February 28, 2014
- Panelist, Eleventh Judicial Circuit’s First Civility and Professionalism Action Summit, Miami, September 24, 2013
- Panelist, “Recent Developments in Ethical Restrictions on International Practice: Where Are We and Where Should We Go?” 11th International Litigation and Arbitration Conference, Miami, March 1, 2013
- Panelist, “Ethics Update for General Practice and Small Firm Lawyers,” CLE Session sponsored by Sabadell Bank and the University of Miami School of Law Alumni Association, Miami, October 2, 2012
- Speaker, “Successful Support: Keeping Clients Happy, and Making Lawyers Look Good, While Winning in Court,” South Florida Paralegal Association Fall Seminar, September 27, 2012
Awards & Recognitions
- Named, "Top Lawyer," Aviation, Admiralty and Maritime, South Florida Legal Guide, 2017
- Honored at the Twenty-seventh Annual Dade County Bar Association and Put Something Back Recognition Luncheon for outstanding pro bono advocacy on behalf of victims of domestic violence, May 6, 2016
- Listed, "Florida Super Lawyer," Business Litigation, 2013- 2019
- Listed among “South Florida's Top-Rated Lawyers,” Business & Commercial, September 2012
- Ranked AV® Preeminent™ 5.0 out of 5*
*AV® Preeminent™ and BV® Distinguished™ are certification marks of Reed Elsevier Properties Inc., used in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies.