Robert is an AV-rated (the highest possible peer rating for competence and character) litigation attorney who has represented commercial clients in a wide range of industries including aviation, shipping, private security, maritime carriage of cargo and passengers, firearms, design, garment, construction, lending, manufacturing, and gaming. He has successfully handled all manner of business disputes - including fraud, torts, contract claims, class actions, and product liability - at every stage, from pre-suit negotiations, through discovery, trials in state and federal trial courts, and to appeal.
Robert especially enjoys cases that turn on complex technical matters. He has worked with experts from such varied disciplines as aviation, the maritime trades, industrial manufacturing, the physical sciences, medicine and forensic accounting. He has deep experience working on both sides of very large fraud cases.
Robert practiced with the national firm of Holland & Knight LLP for six years before joining DGRW. He is admitted to practice in all courts of Florida, the United States District Courts for the Southern and Middle Districts of Florida and the Eleventh U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals.
Before going to law school, Robert was a newspaper reporter and editor for more than 12 years. His undergraduate degree, a Bachelor of Science in biology, is from the University of Cincinnati. Robert graduated summa cum laude from the University of Miami School of Law, where he finished 6th in a class of 340, and was the Paul B. Anton Scholar and a Dean's Fellow. Robert is an Adjunct Professor of Law at the University of Miami School of Law where he teaches attorney ethics.
Robert’s pro bono legal activities have included children's advocacy, immigration and family law matters. He concentrates on representing domestic violence petitioners seeking judicial protection from their abusers.
Robert is a board of directors member of and author for the Eleventh Judicial Circuit Historical Society and he serves on the Steering Committee of the Dade County Defense Bar Association. He is also a member of the Minister and Church Relations Committee of the South Florida Presbytery of the Presbyterian Church in America. In 2012, he will serve as moderator for the Presbytery. Robert was General Counsel of Opsail Miami 2000, where he conducted all legal affairs for the largest-ever convocation of international tall ships, a festival attended by more than 500,000 people. For his work on the event, he was awarded a Public Service Commendation by the United States Coast Guard.
Robert is conversant in Spanish, and is a competitive shooter.
- Newspaper reporter and editor at various publications, 1982-1993
- Associate, Holland & Knight LLP, 1996-2002
- Panelist, Eleventh Judicial Circuit’s First Civility and Professionalism Action Summit, Miami, September 24, 2013
- Panelist, “Recent Developments in Ethical Restrictions on International Practice: Where Are We and Where Should We Go?” 11th International Litigation and Arbitration Conference, Miami, March 1, 2013
- Panelist, “Ethics Update for General Practice and Small Firm Lawyers,” CLE Session sponsored by Sabadell Bank and the University of Miami School of Law Alumni Association, Miami, October 2, 2012
- Speaker, “Successful Support: Keeping Clients Happy, and Making Lawyers Look Good, While Winning in Court,” South Florida Paralegal Association Fall Seminar, September 27, 2012
|"Corporate Advisory: Guaranties", March 21, 2012|